After the first two rounds of the 2010 SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series championship, drivers reflect on the opening events at All-American Speedway and Orange Show and now look towards The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
· Derek Thorn - Current SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series point leader with one win, a second and two track records so far in 2010. “We knew we would have a competitive team this season, but our results so far have been a bit of a surprise,” stated Thorn regarding his early season success. “I really appreciate Bob (Strandwold), Junior (Joiner) and Dan Smith for coming together to make this deal happen for me this year. We all put in a big effort and so far we’re pleased with the results.”
After moving to Wisconsin to compete in the ASA Late Model Series and the K&N Pro Series East, Thorn was back in California last year, but only made four starts, including one SRL start at Irwindale. “I spent most of my time last year working with Bob and Craig (Raudman) with the #2 team, so that’s made for an easier transition to now driving the famed #2 car.”
· Thomas Martin - Currently second in the championship standings, just 25 points back of point leader Thorn. “My first two races of the season have been great. Being out of the car for so long, it feels good to run up front and contend for wins.”
“The toughest challenges have been off the track. After the Roseville race, I knew my guys and I could compete for a championship. I'm taking it race by race and making it by friends, businesses, crew and even fellow racers chipping in. I have great people around me so it’s been a blast so far this season.”
“Not sure what to say about Vegas. I've never been to this track, but from video, it looks like a fun fast track that I want to win at just like thirty other SRL drivers. But, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, right?” Martin concluded.
· Kyle Cattanach - “Our first two races have been a roller coaster. We have had so much support from SP Crankshaft and Pepperjack Kennels to name a few, but have just not had the luck we’re looking for.” said Cattanach.
“My toughest challenge so far this season has been getting used to working with a new team. The car is in Sacramento and I am in Redding, so I’m not getting to work on it as much as I would like.”
In looking to Vegas, “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to put my SP Crankshaft Chevrolet into a top five finish. All of my sponsors are behind me, as well as my family and the entire Motorway Motorsports team so I hope I can make them proud.” Cattanach is currently fourth in the SRL standings.
· Jason Gilbert - The Dublin, CA driver sits fifth in the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series standings after two consistent runs at Roseville and Orange Show. “The first two races have been a challenge for us, but our ability to survive and finish races has landed us in the top five in points.”
“At Orange Show, we got a lap down early in the race but were able to keep pushing forward and get our lap back and work our way back up to a seventh place finish.”
“We’re looking forward to The Bullring, we ran decent there last year. The track is fast and you have room to work the guy in front of you.”
· M.K. Kanke - After his disappointing DNF at Roseville, Kanke moved to tenth position in the standings following his win at Orange Show Speedway.
“I’ve never seen the level of competition so great in the Southwest Tour, ever!” commented Kanke. “We had a great weekend at Orange Show, my son Cale won the Legends (SRL Legends Tour) race on Friday night, and his teammate Darren won on Saturday night and we were fortunate to win the SRL main event. That was a huge weekend for our RPM Motor Sports team.”
In looking forward to this weekend’s Blackjack 121 presented by GoLiveStream.TV. “With it being Vegas, I think we’ll see the competition level rise even more. Last year we raced during the afternoon, so I am looking forward to racing Saturday night this time…it should be a great race. I’d buy a ticket if I wasn’t racing myself.” stated the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series defending champion and defending race winner of the Blackjack 121.
The SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series next event will be the “Blackjack 121 presented by GoLiveStream.TV” this Saturday night at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.