Doug Coby of Milford Conn., won the opening Modified Racing Series sponsored by Bob Valenti Automall.com race of the 2010 season at Waterford Speedbowl. Coby passed defending series champion Jon McKennedy of Chelmsford, Mass. on lap 44 and led the rest of the way to score a .79 second victory over Matt Hirschman of Northampton, Pa. McKennedy finished third.
“The car was very consistent all day,” said Coby. “We ran our fastest lap of the race with about five to go. It feels great to win.”
It was the second career series win for Coby who started this race in the Czarnecki Brothers race team #20 in the 8th position. Both of his victories have occurred at Waterford, the previous win was in May of 2009.
Coby is the first driver to repeat a victory at the Connecticut shoreline oval in nine series races dating back to 2006.
McKennedy, who started the race in the second position, got the jump on pole sitter Dave Etheridge to lead the first lap. McKennedy was initially pressured by Andy Seuss as Coby worked his way to the Top-3 by lap 30. Coby took over the second position on a lap 32 restart and closed in on the leader taking the point on lap 44.
Behind Coby, Matt Hirschman worked his way up from a 17th place starting position to grab second on lap 62. Hirschman then began to fell pressure for the runner-up position by Rowan Pennink.
Pennink had been forced to start last after changing motors following qualifying. He methodically worked his way through the field and eventually passed Hirschman for second on lap 75. Pennink then began to apply heavy pressure on Coby but was forced to the pit area on lap 90 after running out of gas. Hirschman and McKennedy then chased Coby over the final laps.
Andy Seuss made a late race charge and finished fourth. Jacob Dore, last seasons Rookie of the Year, rounded out the Top-5.
The next event for the Modified Racing Series sponsored by Bob Valenti Automall.com is at the Albany Saratoga Speedway in Malta, N.Y. on April 17-18.
Modified Racing Series sponsored by Bob Valenti Automall.com
100 lap race at Waterford Speedbowl
showing finish, starting position, driver, hometown and laps completed
1. (9), Doug Coby, Milford, CT, 100
2. (17), Matt Hirschman, Northampton, PA, 100
3. (2), Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, MA, 100
4. (5), Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, 100
5. (11), Jacob Dore, Sanford, ME, 100
6. (16), Les Hinckley, Windsor Locks, CT, 100
7. (4), Eric Goodale, Riverhead, NY, 100
8. (23), Stephen Masse, Bellingham, MA, 100
9. (1), Dave Etheridge, Portland, CT, 100
10. (3), Rowan Pennink, Huntington Valley, PA, 100
11. (26), Joey Jarvis, Ascutney, VT, 99
12. (20), Norm Wrenn, Nashua, NH, 90
13. (19), Todd Annarummo, Swansea, MA, 86
14. (6), Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, CT, 80
15. (15), Mike Holdridge, Madison, CT , 80
16. (24), Eddy Spiers, Beacon Falls, CT, 80
17. (25), Jimmy Dolan, Bethel, CT, 80
18. (10), Joe Doucette, Framingham, MA, 76
19. (13), Rob Janovic, Jr., Waterford, CT, 70
20., (7), John Fortin, Mastic, NY, 56
21. (14), Todd Owen, Somers, CT, 52
22. (12), Todd Patnode, Swanzey, NH, 52
23. (18), Shelly Perry, Westerly, RI, 43
24. (21), Jack Bateman, Canaan, NH, 26
25. (22), Louie Mechalides, Tyngsboro, MA, 2
26.(8), Mike Stefanik, Coventry, RI, 2
LAP LEADERS: Jon McKennedy 1-43, Doug Coby 44-100
MARGIN OFVICTORY: .79 seconds
CAUTION PERIODS: 11