Scott Steckly played the patience game and won the Cruisin’ The Dub 300 presented by A&W in NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 action Saturday night at Motoplex Speedway.
DJ Kennington dominated much of the race and led a race high 196 laps, but Steckly, out of Milverton, Ont., had the better car over the final 50 laps and earned his first win of the 2010 season and the eighth of his series career. It was also his first win at Motoplex Speedway where he had three times finished as the race runner-up.
Jason Hathaway finished a season-best second while Kennington settled for third place. Don Thomson Jr. and Mark Dilley crossed the line in fourth and fifth, respectively.
Anthony Simone, JR Fitzpatrick, John Gaunt, rookie Nathan Weenk and Ron Beauchamp Jr. rounded out the top 10.
Steckly wrestled the lead away from the vise grip Kennington had on it for most of the night on Lap 236, but Kennington stayed right with the new leader. They battled door-to-door for several laps before the caution came out on Lap 251 for a spin by John Gaunt in Turn 2. On the subsequent restart, Steckly was able to hold off Kennington for the remainder of the race.
Earlier in the day Kennington won his sixth career pole and set a track record in the process with a time of 18.168 seconds eclipsing the mark of 18.299 seconds Don Thomson Jr. established in 2007.
The race was slowed due to caution seven times for 66 laps. The race lead changed hands nine times between five drivers.
The Cruisin’ The Dub 300 presented by A&W recap show will be broadcast on TSN and TSN HD on Aug. 15 at 9 p.m. PT.
In the championship point standings, Fitzpatrick remains the leader, but Kennington is just seven points behind while Steckly is 55 points off the pace.
The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 is right back in action on Wednesday, Aug. 4 at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway in Saskatoon, Sask. for the 250-lap Velocity Prairie Thunder presented by Bayer Crop Science.
NASCAR CANADIAN TIRE SERIES presented by MOBIL 1
Cruisin' The Dub 300 presented by A&W UNOFFICIAL Results
At Motoplex Speedway
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 303 laps, 68.803 mph, $10,500.
2. (8) Jason Hathaway, Appin, Ont., Dodge, 303, $7,000.
3. (1) DJ Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 303, $9,600.
4. (6) Don Thomson, Jr., Hamilton, Ont., Chevrolet, 303, $4,500.
5. (9) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 303, $4,550.
6. (7) Anthony Simone, Holland Landing, Ont., Chevrolet, 303, $3,400.
7. (3) JR Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Ont., Chevrolet, 303, $3,100.
8. (11) John Gaunt, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 302, $2,900.
9. (18) Nathan Weenk, Lethbridge, Alberta, Chevrolet, 300, $3,800.
10. (4) Ron Beauchamp, Jr., Windsor, Ont., Dodge, 297, $3,200.
11. (12) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 297, $2,500.
12. (5) Kerry Micks, Mt. Albert, Ont., Ford, 289, $2,400.
13. (13) Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C., Chevrolet, 221, engine, $2,300.
14. (15) Pierre Bourque, Ottawa, Ont., Dodge, 184, overheating, $2,200.
15. (16) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Ford, 174, accident, $2,100.
16. (10) Jim White, Kamloops, B.C., Chevrolet, 69, engine, $2,050.
17. (14) Derek White, Kahnawake, Que., Chevrolet, 17, engine, $1,950.
18. (17) Dexter Stacey, Kahnawake, Que., Dodge, 15, engine, $1,850.