After three years of silence, Montgomery Motor Speedway came back to life with the Southern Pro Late Model Series in town for a 100 lap event on the half mile oval. Russell Fleeman of Dacula, Georgia set fast time in qualifying and started on the point after drawing a one out of the bag.
Fleeman took the green flag holding off early challenges for the lead from Scotty Ellis from Juliette, Georgia. Intense battles developed up front of the field between Fleeman, Ellis, Dennis Reno Jr of Dora, Alabama, Chase Elliott of Dawsonville, Georgia and Chris Serio of Hoover, Alabama.
As the 100 lapper progressed, Fleeman and Elliott became the cars to beat. The two driver began to pull away from the rest of the field with Elliott making some serious challenges for the lead in the late going.
"I knew Russell was beginning to fade so I was just trying to stay with him in case I could find an opportunity to get around him," said Elliott, 13 year old son of NASCAR great Bill Elliott.
Fleeman was able to hang on to the lead despite a right front tire on his car going flat.
"Man, Chase (Elliott) is going to be a great driver", said Fleeman, "he's a young kid filling a man's shoes."
Rounding out the top 5 were, Ralph Carnes of Anderson, South Carolina, Chris Serio of Hoover, Alabama and Warren Mobley of Griffin, Georgia.
1) Russell Fleeman - Dacula, GA
2) Chase Elliott - Dawsonville, GA
3) Ralph Carnes - Anderson, SC
4) Chris Serio - Hoover, AL
5) Warren Mobley - Griffin, GA
6) James Nealis - Gainesville, GA
7) Brandon Parker - Graysville, AL
8) Scotty Ellis - Juliette, GA
9) Justin Caton - Jemison, AL
10) Kyle Mitchell - Hampton, GA
11) Bobby Knox Jr. - Clanton, AL
12) Dennis Reno Jr. - Dora, AL
13) Scott Patton - Chattanooga, TN
14) Tyler Caton - Clanton, AL
15) Chase Knox - Clanton, AL DNS
16) David Johnson - Hattiesburg, MS DNS
Next event: Watermelon Capital Speedway - Cordele, GA
Co-Sanctioned with the ASA Late Model South Series
Saturday, May 9