What a difference a week makes for Andy Seuss. After mechanical problems ended his night just four laps into the season-opening race two weeks ago, Seuss was able to hold off George Brunnhoelzl, III to win the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified 150 Saturday night at South Boston Speedway.
Seuss (No. 47 Advance Auto Parts/Q Racing Oil Dodge) started 8th after the redraw and quickly moved into the top five by lap 40. Seuss passed Brunnhoelzl, III (No. 28 Oval Speed/Fibrwrap Ford) on lap 87 and was able to stay out front the rest of the way.
“I can’t tell you how much this means to me to get this win tonight for the Advance Auto Parts team,” said Seuss. “We had a fast car and when I was able to get past George (Brunnhoelzl) I knew we had a chance to win the race. The car was that good.”
The win was the third career win for Seuss in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour. The Hampstead, N.H., driver has previous wins at Music City (2007) and Caraway (2008).
Burt Myers finished third with Tim Brown and defending NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour champion Brian Loftin completing the top five.
J.R. Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet) started on the front row after the redraw and led the first 25 laps before Buddy Emory (No. 02 RCS Construction Chevrolet) assumed the top spot until Brunnhoelzl took the lead on lap 54.
Bertuccio rebounded from mechanical problems which forced him to pit while running second on lap 47 to finish sixth with L.W. Miller 7th and Gene Pack 8th. Jason Myers and John Smith completed the top 10.
The race was slowed four times for caution with an average race speed of 72.801 (MPH).
Brunnhoelzl won the Coors Light Pole Award during Saturday afternoon qualifying with a time of 14.778. and he leaves South Boston as the early leader in the driver points standings with 335. Burt Myers is second with 325 and Miller is third with 292 points. Seuss (283) and Bertuccio (280) round of the top five in the standings.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to action this weekend with a doubleheader scheduled. The Tour competitors will visit Ace Speedway on Friday night with the Lightnin’ Fast 150 and will race at Caraway Speedway on Saturday night.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified 150 Unofficial Results
Saturday April 4, 2009 At South Boston Speedway, South Boston , VA
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (8) Andy Seuss, Hampstead , N.H. , Dodge, 150 laps, 72.801 mph, $2,250.
2. (6) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon , N.Y. , Ford, 150, $1,850.
3. (4) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150, $1,125.
4. (7) Tim Brown, Cana , VA , Chevrolet, 150, $1,050.
5. (11) Brian Loftin, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,300.
6. (1) J.R. Bertuccio, Centerrach , NY , Chevrolet, 150, $850.
7. (3) L.W. Miller, Dushore , Pa. , Pontiac, 150, $750.
8. (12) Gene Pack, Washington , D.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $690.
9. (10) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150, $590.
10. (9) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 149, $550.
11. (5) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 148, $525.
12. (15) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordsville , N.J. , Chevrolet, 147, $500.
13. (16) Bryan Dauzat, Midland , NC , Chevrolet, 146, $485.
14. (13) Dean Ward, Winston-Salem , N.C. , Chevrolet, 142, vibration, $560.
15. (2) Buddy Emory, Petersburg , Va. , Chevrolet, 124, accident, $445.
16. (14) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem , N.C. , Chevrolet, 57, steering, $430.
Time of Race: 0 hours 49 minutes 27 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.228 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl, III (97.442 mph, 14.778 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 23 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: J.Bertuccio 1-25; B.Emory 26-54; G.Brunnhoelzl, III 55-86; A.Seuss 87-150.
Standings: 1. G.Brunnhoelzl, III, 335; 2. B.Myers, 325; 3. L.Miller, 292; 4. A.Seuss,
283; 5. J.Bertuccio, 280; 6. B.Loftin, 273; 7. T.Brown, 272; 8. F.Fleming, 272; 9. J. Smith, 272; 10. J.Myers, 259