Sunday - 6:40pm ET - Here is the box score for the 2009 version of the Icebreaker weekend at Thompson International Speedway. We'll have more stories from the race coming soon on Speed51.com.
Thank you for sticking with us today through our technical problems. We apologize for not having more photos and more updates from the weekend due to a connectivity problem with our wireless network.
Good night from Thompson!
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Icebreaker Results
Thompson International Speedway
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 154 laps, 76.625 mph, $8,800.
2. (11) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 154, $3,300.
3. (10) Donny Lia, Jericho, N.Y., Dodge, 154, $2,850.
4. (9) Ryan Preece, Kensington, Conn., Chevrolet, 154, $2,575.
5. (15) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield, Conn., Ford, 154, $2,275.
6. (13) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Pontiac, 154, $2,075.
7. (5) Mike Stefanik, Coventry, R.I., Pontiac, 154, $1,975.
8. (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 154, $1,875.
9. (2) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 154, $1,725.
10. (32) Bobby Grigas, III, Marshfield, Mass., Chevrolet, 154, $2,875.
11. (17) Eric Beers, Northampton, Pa., Chevrolet, 154, $1,650.
12. (6) Glen Reen, Wilbraham, Mass., Chevrolet, 154, $1,745.
13. (3) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 154, $1,535.
14. (23) Kevin Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154, $1,130.
15. (16) Tony Ferrante, Jr., New Hyde Park, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154, $1,065.
16. (24) Ed Flemke, Jr., Southington, Conn., Chevrolet, 154, $1,450.
17. (19) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 154, $1,030.
18. (21) Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 154, $1,375.
19. (22) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 154, $1,350.
20. (33) Joe Hartmann, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154, $1,325.
21. (14) Carl Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Pontiac, 153, $900.
22. (18) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 153, $850.
23. (31) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 153, $1,525.
24. (25) Eric Berndt, Cromwell, Conn., Chevrolet, 153, $800.
25. (20) Tommy Farrell, III, Neptune, N.J., Chevrolet, 153, $790.
26. (27) Reggie Ruggiero, Rocky Hill, Conn., Ford, 153, $1,180.
27. (30) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich, Conn., Chevrolet, 152, $1,170.
28. (12) Glenn Tyler, Hampton Bays, N.Y., Chevrolet, 151, $1,160.
29. (34) Wade Cole, Riverton, Conn., Chevrolet, 151, $1,150.
30. (28) Johnny Bush, Huntington Station, N.Y., Chevrolet, 149, $750.
31. (7) Erick Rudolph, Ransomville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 141, accident, $1,250.
32. (26) Richard Savary, Canton, Mass., Chevrolet, 133, accident, $1,150.
33. (8) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Chevrolet, 125, $750.
34. (29) Rob Summers, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 121, accident, $750.
35. (35) Jake Marosz, Middletown, Conn., Chevrolet, 15, vibration, $1,150.
Time of Race: 1 hour 15 minutes 22 seconds
Margin of Victory: .169 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: T.Christopher (120.890 mph, 18.612 seconds)
Caution Flags: 7 for 26 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-9; T. Christopher 10-40; J. Tomaino 41-57; M. Stefanik 58-66; J.Tomaino 67-74; T. Christopher 75-154.
Standings: 1. T. Christopher, 180; 2. J. Blewett, 170; 3. D. Lia, 165; 4. R. Preece, 160; 5. T. Szegedy, 155; 6. R. Silk, 150; 7. M. Stefanik, 146; 8. D. Coby, 142; 9. R. Pennink,138; 10. B. Grigas,III, 134.
Sunday - 4:20pm ET - For the third time in his career, Ted Christopher has won the NASCAR Modified Tour portion of the Icebreaker at Thompson International Speedway. He held off some late minute charges from Jimmy Blewett to score the victory.
Donny Lia, Ryan Preece and Todd Szegedy rounded out the top five.
Ronnie Silk, Mike Stefanik, Doug Coby, Rowan Pennick and Bobby Grigas rounded out the top ten.
We'll have a full field rundown shortly, as now we are headed down to the pit area to talk to the drivers.
Sunday - 4:15pm ET - The caution is out on on lap 148 for a spin by Woody Pitkat on the backstretch. The race for the lead should be an exciting one. On the last restart, Jimmy Blewett muscled under Ted Christopher to take the lead in turn three briefly. Both drivers slid up the track and TC pulled a crossover move to lead once again heading down the fronstretch.
Rihg tnow, the top runners are Christopher, Blewett, Donny Lia, Ryan Preece, Todd Szegedy, Ronnie Silk, Doug Coby, Mike Stefanik, Rowan Pennick, Bobby Grigas, Eric Beers and Glen Reen.
Sunday - 4:10pm ET - The caution is out on lap 134 after Richard Savary tried to make a hole under Reggie Ruggiero going into turn one. The were battling for the 21st position at the time and the move didn't work. Both drivers slid up into the outside retaining wall. Ruggiero is on pit road and he might be able to return, but Savary has heavy damge to his right front suspension. He is being towed in.
The running order is Ted Christopher, Jimmy Blewett, Donny Lia, Woody Pitkat, Ryan Preece, Ronnie Silk, Todd Szegedy, Erick Rudolph, Rowan Pennick and Bobby Grigas, III.
We will go green on lap 136.
We have now gone green and Christopher still leads, but Donny Lia has taken over seconrd place. Ryan Preece passed Jimmy Blewett for third, but Blewett came back to retake the spot. Now Blewett has gone back into second place.
The caution is out again on lap 141. The field stacked up in turn three with Tony Ferrante going around as a result.
Sunday - 3:58pm ET - Ted Christopher stayed out in front on the restart, but Ronnie Silk is looking strong too. He moved past Donny Lia for second place.
The caution has come out again on lap 121 for a turn one incident involving Glenn Tyler and Rob Summers.
Andy Seuss will receive the lucky dog pass on this caution. As a follow-up to our last entry, Carl Pastreyak did not take the lucky dog pass on the previous caution because he elected to pit instead.
Sunday - 3:55pm ET - Ted Christopher has nearly a second and a half lead over Donny Lia at lap 106.
Ronnie Silk sits in third and is followed by Jimmy Blewett, Jamie Tomaino, Woody Pitkat, Ryan Preece, Mike Stefanik, Erick Rudolph and Rowan Pennick.
Kevin Goodale has just looped his #58 in the frontstretch infield grass to bring out the caution on lap 115.
Jamie Tomaino, Mike Stefanik, Eddie Flemke, Richard Savary, Reggie Ruggiero, Tony Ferrante and Rob Summers are among those who are pitting during the caution.
Carl Pasteryak is the lucky dog winner under this caution.
Sunday - 3:38pm ET - Strike that, the #68 of Johnny Bush has now been determined to be one lap down and not in the top three. Andy Seuss also lost a lap getting stuck in the pits under caution. The third and final car that is one lap down belongs to Wade Cole.
Mike Stefanik is now leading over Jamie Tomaino, Rob Summers, Donny Lia, Ted Christopher and Ronnie Silk at lap 62.
Rob Summers has now free fallen out of the top five.
There are now more details available on the pit road incident that brought out the red flag. John McKenna, crew chief for Chris Pasteryak fell during their pit stop and suffered a laceration to his head. He is awake, alert and talking and was transported to the hospital to get patched up.
We are now on lap 72 and it is Jamie Tomaino who is leading. A rapidly charging duo of Ted Christopher and Donny Lia are in close pursuit though.
Lap 74 brings Ted Christopher as the new leader. Donny Lia has pulled into second and Ronnie Silk is now third.
Sunday - 3:25pm ET - We are under caution right now for an incident on pit road that track workers are attending to. The field is lined up on the backstretch on lap 54.
The top five right now is Doug Coby, Mike Stefanik, Johnny Bush, Richard Savary and Rob Summers .
Sunday - 3:15pm ET - Donny Lia has caught Ted Christopher and looks to be ready to battle him for the lead. We're working lap 41.
Donny Lia has now taken the lead from Ted Christopher. Ronnie Silk is now looking under TC for second place.
At lap 47, the running order is Lia, Christopher, Silk, Doug Coby, Rowan Pennick, Glen Reen and Ryan Preece.
Now the caution has come out on lap 48 for a spin by Johnny Bush in turn two. Carl Pasteryak is going to get the lucky dog award under this caution period.
Coming down pit road under caution are most of the leaders. Those staying out are Doug Coby, Mike Stefanik, Richard Savary, Rob Summers and a few other cars that were deep in the field.
Reggie Ruggiero has been penalized to the end of the longest line on the restart for pitting too soon.
Ronnie Silk was the first driver to make it out of the pits among the leaders.
Sunday - 3:05pm ET - On the restart, Ted Christopher took the lead. He has since pulled away from second place Doug Coby.
Ryan Preece is on the move. He has brought the #3 Modified up into the seventh position.
At lap 14, Jamie Tomaino has gotten around Coby for second place.
Jake Marosz has pulled into the pits under green. His #9 was sputtering around the track and it appears that he may be done for the day.
Currently, the top runners are Ted Christopher, Jamie Tomaino, Doug Coby, Rowan Pennick, Glen Reen, Donny Lia, Ryan Preece, Jimmy Blewett, Mike Stefanik and Ronnie Silk.
We're now working lap 22.
Sunday - 2:58pm ET - At the drop of the green flag, it was Doug Coby who sprinted into the lead at Thompson. Ted Christopher was poking under him in turn four on the first lap, but has since backed off to settle into second place. At lap five, the running order is Coby, Christopher, Rowan Pennick, Jamie Tomaino, Mike Stefanik, Glen Reen, Chris Pasteryak and Donny Lia.
The caution has just come out for debris in turn four.
Nobody is coming to pit road during this caution.
Sunday - 2:45pm ET - Jeff Zuidema has won the Late Model feature at Thompson over Rick Gentes, Mark Oliveira, Paul Newcomb, Jr. and Tom Fox.
The Tour Modifieds are up next for their 150-lap feature. Those drivers are strapped in their cars in the outside pit area. There will not be any out-of-car driver introductions, so the show will be getting underway shortly.
Our Internet connection is very slow and spotty today, so we regret that we won't have any photos to go along with Trackside Now and that we will have somewhat limited updates. But as long as we don't get booted offline too much, we still plan to bring you as much coverage as possible during the 150-lap feature and full field results after the race is wrapped up. We'll also have plenty of post-race coverage of the event coming ahead.
Sunday - 2:17pm ET - Norm Wrenn has scored a comfortable victory in the Super Late Model feature at Thompson. Mike O'Sullivan barely held off Derek Ramstrom for second place, while George Bessette finished fourth. The Late Model division, which only numbers 10 entries today, will hit the track for a 20-lap feature next and then we will get into pre-race activities for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour season opener.
There was a moment of laughter in victory lane when Wrenn, a seasoned veteran, noted that this was his first career Super Late Model victory. The top fendered division at Thompson changed its name from Pro Stocks to Super Late Models for this season.
Sunday - 2:05pm ET - So far it has been a great race in the Super Late Model class here at Thompson. The 30-lap feature is now 17 laps old and under caution after something appeared to break on the #48 car of Fred Astle, Jr., sending him hard into the turn three wall. Astle hopped out right away and is okay.
The race for the lead has been fierce, but clean. At one point, the battle for that position was three-wide. Currently, Norm Wrenn leads Mike O'Sullivan and PASS North regular Derek Ramstrom.
Sunday - 1:50pm ET - After a good deal of bumping, banging and blocking between the first few runners, Todd Cerevolo has won the Sunoco Modified feature over Bert Marvin and Keith Rocco.
Sunday - 1:20pm ET - Joe Arena has won the 20-lap Limited Sportsman feature at Thompson International Speedway (CT).
Sunday - 12:55pm ET - Brian Sullivan has bested Richie Ferreira to win the 20-lap Thompson Modified feature at Thompson. Next we will have 23 Sportsman cars hit the track for their feature event.
Sunday - 12:45pm ET - After a few tussles, botched restarts and lineup disagreements, the Thompson Modifieds have gotten past the first lap of their feature and are out on track logging laps in their feature. Currently, Wanderson Oliveira leads the field.
The drivers of the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour are taking part in an autograph session behind the main grandstand right now. They will hit the track in a few more hours for 150 laps of racing to start their seasons out.
A few of the drivers in the field have already started their seasons out in fine fashion though. Both winners so far this year on the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour are in the field today. Ted Christopher won the WSMT opener at Concord last month while Andy Seuss won last night's WSMT race at South Boston Speedway (VA). Seuss will start at the rear of the field today as there will be a driver change in his #70 Modified. Since Seuss was down in Virginia yesterday, Tommy Cravenho practiced and qualifed his car here at Thompson.
Back to Christopher...he's been winning in more places than just on the Southern Mod Tour this year already. He has also notched the New Smyrna Modified championship during Florida Speedweeks in February and won a pair of TQ Midget races indoors in Atlantic City and Providence during the winter months.
Ronnie Silk is another driver in the field today who has won this year already. He visited victory lane at New Smyrna as well. He'll start 13th today in the WMT feature. Jimmy Blewett meanwhile didn't lose a race at New Smyrna in the SK Modified division. He swept that series back in February. Today, he'll start 11th in the WMT feature event.
Sunday - 12:30pm ET - Chuck Rogers has won the Mini Stock feature of Icebreaker Sunday at Thompson International Speedway (CT). It is his first career feature victory at the track.
Sunday - 12:15pm ET - Our wireless provider might promise to have more bars in more places, but apparently one of those places is not East Thompson, Connecticut. Despite having a new laptop, new wireless card and new attitude for this season, we are still having the same connection problems at Thompson when it comes to hoping to bring you Trackside Now coverage today.
What does that mean? Well, we can barely get online at times, so we hope to have some updates today - but they won't be as fast and furious as usual. Lots of photos? Forget about it. To download anything that is a sizable file looks to be hopeless today.
So we appreciate your patience and apolgize for the technical problems. We'll try to bring you updates from the track throughout the day, but can't promise anything. We can tell you that it is a clear and bright day here and the mini stocks are on track for their feature. Stay tuned. We might be back later...or maybe we won't.
Sunday - 10:15am ET - Ted Christopher set fast time in Saturday's qualifying for the Icebreaker at Thompson International Speedway (CT), but after the redraw, it will be Doug Coby who starts the race on the pole positon. Here is the full starting lineup:
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Starting Lineup
1. (19) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 120.199
2. (93) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 119.802
3. (99) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 119.859
4. (36) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 120.890
5. (16) Mike Stefanik, Coventry, R.I., Pontiac, 119.738
6. (17) Glen Reen, Wilbraham, Mass., Chevrolet, 120.128
7. (59) Erick Rudolph, Ransomville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 119.694
8. (52) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Chevrolet, 119.351
9. (3) Ryan Preece, Kensington, Conn., Chevrolet, 119.275
10. (4) Donny Lia, Jericho, N.Y., Dodge, 119.237
11. (12) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 119.060
12. (8) Glenn Tyler, Hampton Bays, N.Y., Chevrolet, 119.048
13. (79) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Pontiac, 118.966
14. (75) Carl Pasteryak, Lisbon, Conn., Pontiac, 118.922
15. (2) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield, Conn., Ford, 118.897
16. (31) Tony Ferrante, Jr., New Hyde Park, N.Y., Chevrolet, 118.846
17. (46) Eric Beers, Northampton, Pa., Chevrolet, 118.828
18. (18) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 118.690
19. (70) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 118.658 #
20. (08) Tommy Farrell, III, Neptune, N.J., Chevrolet, 118.652 *
21. (90) Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 118.571
22. (28) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 118.515
23. (50) Kevin Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 118.253
24. (10) Ed Flemke, Jr., Southington, Conn., Chevrolet, 118.241
25. (64) Eric Berndt, Cromwell, Conn., Chevrolet, 118.19
26. (21) Richard Savary, Canton, Mass., Chevrolet, 118.178
27. (14) Reggie Ruggiero, Rocky Hill, Conn., Ford, 118.166
28. (68) Johnny Bush, Huntington Station, N.Y., Chevrolet, 118.085
29. (1) Rob Summers, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 117.826
30. (32) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich, Conn., Chevrolet, 117.506
31. (58) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 116.950 *
32. (09) Bobby Grigas, III, Marshfield, Mass., Chevrolet, 116.859
33. (05) Joe Hartmann, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 115.717 +
34. (33) Wade Cole, Riverton, Conn., Chevrolet, 115.426 +
35. (9) Jake Marosz, Middletown, Conn., Chevrolet, 115.622 +
* Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
+ Provisional Starting Position
# Qualified Car for Andy Seuss
NOTE: Top Six Qualifiers Redrew
Sunday's Schedule - Icebreaker at Thompson
8:30am - Pit Gate Opens
9:30 - Grandstands Open
11:45 - Show Opens
Noon - Racing Begins
- Mini Stocks
- Ltd. Sportsman
- Thompson Modifieds
- Sunoco Modifieds
- Super Late Models
- Late Models
2:45 (est.) - Whelen Modified Pre-Race Ceremony
3:15 (est.) - NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour 150 Lap Feature
You can jump over to the Speed51.com's discussion forum at MotorsportsLounge.com and share your opinions on the racing today. It is a great place to interact with other fans and comment about this weekends festivities.