With Daytona getting further away in the rearview mirror, the ARCA RE/MAX Series is looking out the front windshield more and more.
After being silent for a month, the series is headed back to the track for an open test Saturday, March 14th at Rockingham Speedway.
The open test is in preparation for the Carolina 200, LIVE on SPEED Sunday afternoon, April 19th. It will also serve as an opportunity for teams to meet up with media, who will be invited out for the test.
The ARCA RE/MAX Series debuted at Rockingham Speedway on June 10, 1973 when Charlie Glotzbach won the 300-mile event from the pole.
However, the series would not return to the ‘Rock' until May of 2008 when Joey Logano in a Venturini Motorsports Chevrolet, won the race from the pole.
As part of the ARCA Safety Initiative, ARCA RE/MAX Series officials have scheduled several other open tests throughout the 2009 season. Other open test dates this year include Talladega Superspeedway April 8 & 9, Kentucky Speedway April 29, Michigan Int'l Speedway May 27, Iowa Speedway June 30, Kentucky Speedway July 6, Chicagoland Speedway August 19, Kansas Speedway September 1, Rockingham Speedway September 23, and Daytona Int'l Speedway December 18, 19 & 20. ARCA RE/MAX Series officials mandate that all drivers with no superspeedway experience, prior to competing, participate in open tests to gain approval for competition.
If you're planning on testing at Rockingham, here are some reminders:
* Contact Joe Wells at the ARCA office to register for open tests. Failure to pre-register will result in increased test fee and reduction in track time.
* All Drivers must be pre-approved by ARCA Competition Committee.
* All Drivers must have a current year physical and drug screen on file with ARCA.
* No car will go on track unless Owner and Driver is registered and licensed by ARCA.
* Team must have a paid entry for the event prior to going on track.
* There will be a $150 test fee per driver and/or car that participates in the open test.
* Car must conform to 2009 ARCA Rule Book.
* Must have spotter with 2-way radio communication whenever car is on track.
* Only licensed members will be allowed in the garage area and garage rules (age, attire, etc.) will apply.
* Hoosier tires will be available for purchase at the open tests.
* Sunoco fuel will be available for purchase at the open tests.
* Unless otherwise informed, garage area will open up at 7:00 am, on track activity will start at 9:00 am and end at 5:00 pm. Tracks will shut down for a one hour lunch break.