“I can’t say enough about the kid,” said Mulkern. “His parents obviously brought him up right. He is a real class act, he didn’t need to call me. I may never see him again. What he did is something that you just don’t see that much anymore and he showed that he was beyond his years by doing it.”
Mulkern takes the blame for the incident that started everything and wanted to let Cassill know that at the racetrack.
“I felt terrible about what happened on the track,” said Mulkern. “It was a racing deal and I had no intention of it happening. After the race, I wanted to go down there and take some responsibility for making a mistake and to help him if I could. I didn’t know that he had a back-up car and I was worried that he might not race on Saturday night.
“He told me that he just needed about 15 minutes to calm down and he regrets what he said. I told him that is nothing to be embarrassed about. You’re going to get mad and say things in the heat of the moment. I’ve done that.”
SANTERRE HONORED AGAIN...AND HE’S READY TO GO SLEDDING (AGAIN)
The winner of the last four NASCAR Busch North Series championships might be stepping out of the driver’s seat in 2006, but he’s got plenty of that have been keeping him busy.
The Andy Santerre Charity Snowmobile Run will take place in Aroostook County Maine this weekend with proceeds going to the AMHC Sexual Assault Services fund. The ride kicks off on Saturday from the Caribou Inn, just a few miles from the Canadian border.
“The Aroostook Mental Health Center is having a charity ride for battered women in Aroostook County,” said Santerre. “The state doesn’t give them any money for their program, so they have to raise money through donations. Last year, it was very successful. We raised $11,000. This year, we already have a donation of $5,000 from Grizco Racing, which is great. So this year our goal is to top last year. If we could get up to $15,000, it would be very successful. We’re looking forward to a good day Saturday.”
51's NORTHERN EXPOSUREby Mike Twist
Fences Get Mended, Lee Sets and Schedule, Some Santerre News and More
In the North 100 preliminary event, Mulkern made contact with Cassill and spun him around. Another car nailed Cassill under caution and his night was done. Afterwards, Mulkern attempted to apologize, but Cassill would hear none of it. He wasn’t a happy camper and he told Speed51.com that without holding anything back. Click here for more.
But that was all in the heat of the moment. Upon returning home to Iowa, Cassill took the time to track down Mulkern’s e-mail address. They exchanged e-mails and then talked on the phone to hash out their differences. Mulkern was extremely impressed by that.
Scott Mulkern (R) is impressed with the effort that Landon Casill has made to get past an incident at Speedfest. (51 Photos)
Busch North Scene's George Campbell (L) presents Andy Santerre with the Driver of the Year award.
MULKERN AND CASSILL MEND FENCES AFTER SPEEDFEST
When PASS racer Scott Mulkern and Midwestern teenager Landon Cassill left Florida after Speedfest two weeks ago, they were anything but friends.
LEE USA PLANS FOR 2006
Lee USA Speedway (NH) has released their tentative schedule for the season. There are 21 events on the docket. The most interesting of which might be an ACT Late Model/True Value Modified Racing Series doubleheader on Friday night May 19th. On that night, the fendered cars and Mods will each run 100-lap features.
Also on the schedule are also two 100-lap races for the ACT-legal Lee Late Models, a total of four TVMRS events and an ISMA Supermodified event. The season will close with the track’s annual Oktoberfest open show on October 21st-22nd.
The schedule is still tentative because it needs to be approved by town fathers. It will go before the Town of Lee on February 13th.
The True Value Mods will go to Lee four times in 2006.
For more information on the ride, please visit www.amhc.org.
Last weekend, Santerre was at the Busch North Scene Charity Snowmobile Ride in Rangeley, Maine and was presented with two awards. Santerre collected both the Busch North Scene Driver of the Year award (decided by the editors and writers of Busch North Scene) and the Busch North Scene Fan’s Choice Award (decided by reader voting).
Santerre really appreciated the accolades.
“I didn’t have the greatest year behind the wheel as far as I was concerned,” said Santerre. “There were other drivers who won more races. So to win that award is just an honor. To go out as a champion and to win an award like this is great.”
HOAG TO TRY OUT BUSCH EAST
21-year-old Modified driver Alex Hoag will dip his toes in the NASCAR Busch East pool in 2006, driving three races for the start-up team Mavericks Fortune Motorsports owned by Meg Biro.
Hoag raced on the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour mostly in 2005, with a handful of races on the Northern Whelen Tour as well.
Plans are for Hoag to race in three Busch East events this year – the two races at New Hampshire and the September race at Dover.
SUTCLIFFE TO TRY OUT ACT
Connecticut’s Walter Sutcliffe will drive an ACT Late Model owned by Mike Sangermano in 2006. Last season, Sutcliffe ran a limited schedule in the NASCAR Southeast Series. He made five SES starts in the series and finished 18th in the standings.
Sangermano is the same car owner who provided Roger Brown with a ride for the final events of the 2005 season after Brown had destroyed his own ride while leading the Bond Auto Labor Day Classic 200 at Thunder Road. Brown posted two top tens in the car, including a second in the ACTion Super Series' Re/Max 150 at Lee USA Speedway.