embarrassing and pathetic.  It makes me upset that I’m representing a company and a sponsor and they have to be associated with a series that can’t run 46 cars and not have a caution every three or four laps.”

Veteran Dave Dion was able to keep it in the best perspective.  He also said it might have been pressure that got to most.

“When you can see the front, you think more clearly,” said Dion.  “When you can’t see the front, you are in more of a negative mood.  When things get to you, they get to you a little bit more.  You don’t have a whole lot to lose.  When you are in the front, you are a little more tolerant.  In the back, you have no tolerance.  You think, ‘well, I suck today.  He hit me, so I’ll hit him.’  It’s an ‘I don’t care’ attitude.

“On a mile track, it shouldn’t be like that.  We haven’t seen a bad accident when someone got carried away in a long time.  I think that we’ve all gotten a little bit lax.  When we lost those two drivers [Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin in 2000] and we came back the next day, I was literally scared to death.  Those were competitive people in good cars who got killed on this racetrack.  Two in one year. 

“These guys have never experienced that – hearing that someone died and 20 minutes later having to go out and practice.  When you go by and see where a man died, it gets you.  Two men died, Tom Bolles got hurt and Rick Fuller got hurt here.  You can name a lot of people who have wrecked bad at this racetrack.  Now, they treat it like a short track and you do have to drive it like a short track.  You drive it hard, beat and bang and can do crossovers.  But it’s still a pretty wide-open racetrack.”
Embarrassing, Pathetic, Rough All Used To Describe Caution-Filled Event
There are many words that were uttered in the NASCAR Busch East Series garage after Saturday’s race at New Hampshire International Speedway. 

“Embarassing.”  “Pathetic.”  “Rough.” "A debacle.” “Disastrous.” “Dismal.”  “Pitiful.”

The best way to describe the event however - a fiasco.
In a race that was scheduled to run 125 laps, the series only made it until lap 104 when the race was checkered due to time constraints.  Of those 104 laps that were completed, a whopping total of 73 were run under the yellow flag.  73 laps under caution.  Only 31 laps under green.

Kelly Moore won the event, his fifth at New Hampshire International Speedway.  But Moore’s win was severely overlooked by the action that occurred all around him; the action that occurred the rare time the race was being run under green.

The first caution came on lap two when Patrick Dupree and Jerick Johnson got together in turn one.  At that
Kelly Moore (#47) found himself in the middle of the action all day, but was able to keep clean and win at NHIS.  (51 Photos)
point, no one would have thought that after that, all hell would break loose. 

Lap 12, lap 16, lap 30, lap 39, lap 50… the cautions just kept coming.  It took over an hour for the series to run the first 50 laps of the event.  From there on out, fans and drivers alike knew it was going to be a long, and yet short day, as the series was running under a time crunch before the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series was set to take the green for their 200-lap event.

After the race, even the race winner had something to say about it.

“It was a wild race.  It was kind of stupid actually,” said Moore, standing on the pit box of his son (NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series driver Ryan Moore) after the event.  “The guys were running over each other left and right out there.  I’m just proud to say that I didn’t have a scratch on the front bumper even.  There aren’t a lot of guys out there that could say that today.”

There really weren’t a lot of bumpers that came away clean.  Even some of the best in the series ran into problems.
Points leader Mike Olsen got into an accident when he got hit from behind by John Freeman on lap 30.  Thankfully, that damage wasn’t enough to keep Olsen off the lead lap and he recovered for a ninth-place finish.

Problems hit a number of other front runners.  But the biggest battle started on lap 50.  And that was only the first round.

While coming up through the field, Sean Caisse and Matt Kobyluck got together.  Caisse got into the left rear of Kobyluck, spinning him around and putting him into the turn three fence.  Caisse said it was Kobyluck’s fault.  Kobyluck said it was Caisse’s fault.   Either way, it didn’t end there.
Less than 20 laps later, after Kobyluck and Caisse had been involved in other, separate incidents, the two found each other for round two of their NHIS royal rumble.  This time, Kobyluck got into the back of Caisse heading into turn three.  That sent Caisse spinning to the infield, where he collected Brad Leighton.  It also sent Kobyluck to the garage for what NASCAR officials deemed retaliation.

The crews argued and shouted on pit road.  But that was nothing compared to the war of words the two drivers had for each other after the race.

Making it even more interesting; the two drivers have a history of run-ins on the track, including one at Waterford just a few weeks back.

“I got drove into the back of,” said Kobyluck.  “I couldn’t tell you what the 44 (Caisse) was doing at that point of the race.  We were the fastest car on the track at that point and it appeared to me that he bonzied it in down in turn three, got into the back of me and spun me out.  You’ll have to ask him.  He can probably tell you better what he did.   He was… whatever.  I don’t know what he was thinking or what he was doing at that point.  Then later, going down the backstretch, he just jammed on the brakes and I had no place to go other but into the back of him.  He ended up spinning down through the infield.  It was no big deal.
“It wasn’t retaliation though.  When things happen between two people on the track, you know damn well that NASCAR is looking at you and going to be watching you closely, especially when you are running bumper-to-bumper with someone.  If I really wanted to retaliate, Sean would have been in the fence and not down on the infield.  If I want to retaliate, I would have made sure he wouldn’t have finished the race.

“Whether that is payback from Waterford or not from his perspective I have no idea.  Let him tell you that.  I am sure he is going to tell you I cut down on him.  I guess there are just two people out there that know what really happened.”

Caisse was much more vocal following the event.
The accident between Matt Kobyluck (#40) and Sean Caisse (#44) set the tone for the whole day. (Ken Spring photo)
“It’s the same deal as always; I guess Matt doesn’t like me passing him,” said Caisse, who came into the event a close second to Olsen in the point standings.  “It’s clear and obvious.  I knew he was gong to take an early dive for the corner and take my line away.   If the guy on the inside drives in hard and the guy on the outside aims for the apex of the corner, the guy on the outside takes completely takes his nose away from you.  Then you end up wrecking and up into the fence.  All I did was lift out of it when I was at his quarter panel and he came across (my nose).   His left rear quarter panel just touched me and he slowly spun and went up into the wall.   I laughed when I was in the car because he wrecked himself.”

After that, Caisse knew something was coming and it did. (51 will have more later this week)

“I saw the 40 car was behind me and I knew he was going to do something stupid.  He hit me going into one.  I thought he was just going to rough me up and that’s it, but then he drilled me going down the backstretch.  I had cars in front of me, so there was nothing I could do.  So when everyone else lifted going into three, he never did and punted me.   I slammed into Brad Leighton and we both slid into the infield.”

The crews exchanged words and glances.  Caisse’s team owner, Andy Santerre, event held his hands up, along with an aluminum baseball bat, asking what the heck was going on.  Caisse came back to finish 14th, while Kobyluck was parked and ended up 40th.

But even after the Caisse-Kobyluck donnybrook, things were still crazy, with more cautions forcing the race to be called early.  And after the event, it seems like everyone had something to say about it all.

“We had too many cars on the track and too much of spread between speeds,” said Olsen.  “After we made our pit stops, coming back up through there were a lot of different cars going different speeds.  There was a big difference between the front half and the back half and after the front half made their pit stops and had to come back through, it got a little dicy.”

Damaged cars were everywhere on Saturday.  (51 photo)
“Some of those guys were pushing the issue – roughing guys up, driving it pretty hard and running guys up.  But I can only drive my car.”

Caisse was embarrassed.

“That just goes back to the respect level,” added Caisse.  “No one in this series has no respect for anyone.  The guys in this series have no respect for me.  Nor do I have any trust in a lot of them.  I have respect for Mike Olsen and Mike Johnson.  There is only like three or four of them.  Everyone was driving like a maniac on the racetrack.   It is unfortunate for the series and an embarrassment.  All of the fans come out here… it’s
Mike Olsen was caught up in all of the action on Saturday.  (Ken Spring photo)
Unfortunately, for both Kelly and Ryan Moore, Kelly’s win got highly overshadowed by the Caisse-Kobyluck accident and the general lack of respect.

“We knew we had a decent racecar and we knew that from the beginning,” said Kelly.  “We tired to keep the fenders on the car.  I had a big hole to dig myself out of after we pitted too soon.  I’m just really proud of the guys. 

“It means a lot to me to win here.  We’ve only run the Busch East car a couple of times this year so it just means a lot to come here and win.  I had to set an example for Ryan out here today (Ryan raced in, and finished 15th, the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event after the Busch East event).
Kelly Moore
“This is awesome.  For years, this was our Daytona,” said Ryan in Victory Lane.  “We put a lot of effort into this race.   It was the most fun I’ve had standing on a pit box.  It was a great car and there is obviously a great driver behind the wheel.   I was just trying to keep him pumped up and focused at the same time.  He is a wild man and you have to keep him calmed down.  Normally, you think you have to keep the son calm.  I had to keep him calm.”

Brian Hoar came home second, followed by Bryon Chew, Andrew Myers and Tracy Gordon.